Sharps Container w/ Needle Remover
HCPCS code for Medicare: E1399
The container is red, 3.3 quart, durable, compact, and lightweight. These sharps containers accommodate sharp and contaminated materials.
Needle Removal Instructions
- Slide tear drop shaped closure clockwise to expose opening.
- Place the hub of the needle within the hub gripper jaws mounted on the top of the sharps container.
- Squeeze the gripper jaw arms which will close the jaws around the needle hub.
- Turn the syringe or needle holder so that the needle is removed.
- Release the arms of the gripper jaws and allow the needle to drop into the sharps container.
- Slide the tear drop shaped closure over the opening in the lid.
- When the container is approximately 3/4 full (recommended maximum capacity), the tear drop clusre must be placed over the opening of the container and the container removed from the bracket.
- Disposal of contaminated sharps containers must be done in compliance with national, state, and local regulations and in accordance with institutional policy.
- Inspect container prior to moving it to ensure there are no sharps protruding from the container.
- Always grasp or carry the container by the handle or from an area above the fill line.
- OSHA regulations recommend that containers with needle removing devices be mounted to a wall, cart, etc., with an appropriate mounting bracket.
- Container must not be grasped while needles are being removed from the hub.
- Locate container out of traffic areas so as to minimize the possibility of the container being bumped or knocked out of the bracket.
- This container is supplied with the lid in place. The lid must not be removed at any time.
- DO NOT COMPACT THE CONTENTS OF THE CONTAINER or force sharps into the container. When the contents have reached the recommended fill line (approximately 3/4 full), the container must be changed.